Since today is Thanksgiving, I thought I'd write a blog post about one of the many things that I am thankful for, family. I'd like to post about an experience that I had over the weekend.

Saturday morning, November 20th, my mom asked me if I would like to go down and visit my grandma. I knew that this would be the last time that I would be able to see her. My parents, but especially my mom, have been going down weekly to see her and support her and she was nearing the end of her life. I have so many fond memories of my grandma. I'd like to share a few of them here.

For the longest time one of my Aunts took care of her. My aunt and uncle, along with my grandma, live in Salem Utah. It's a little city near Payson, which is just South of Spanish Fork and Provo. I remember going to visit my grandma on occasion while she lived in Salem. There was a beautiful pond just outside the home that she lived in. We used to go and feed the ducks and watch the kids play. We had a few of our family reunions there. We would get together and have barbecues and the kids would play games. One of the games that I can remember was with PVC pipes and small marshmallows. We would run around shooting them at each other and see would could avoid getting hit, as see who would get hit them most. Good times...

For most my life Dorothy Wright, my grandma, lived in Provo Utah. It was easy to get to and just down the street from both the MTC and the BYU football stadium. When I was little, my brothers, cousins and I would go fishing in her backyard. She had a little stream that we thought we could catch fish in. To the end of a sturdy stick we would fasten a long piece of string, a paperclip and some cheese and throw it over the fence. We would spend so much time there thinking that we had bites and that we almost hooked a fish or two. Little did we realize that there probably weren't any fish in there at all.

One of my earliest memories of my grandma was when I was about 3 or 4. My family and extended family were always pretty close. We used to visit my grandparents quite frequently. My grandma on my mom's side was Grandma Wright. My grandma on my dad's side was Grandma Young. Well, when you're 3 you pick up the funniest things. I thought "Wright" was actually "Right." I ended up thinking, and possibly calling them Grandma "Right" and Grandma "Wrong" for some reason. I think it had to do with the fact that my Grandma Wright always had cookies and other things that she gave us, while my Grandma Young only had lemon drops and nothing else. Although I didn't like the lemon drops that much at first, I grew to love them and like sour candy to this day.

There was always something to do at grandmas place. She had a closet that had games packed in there from floor to ceiling. I remember wanting to count them to see how many she had, but never got the chance. My grandma also taught us as little kids how to make bread and how to keep things clean by cleaning up while you were working. She also did dishes the old fashioned way. Even though she had a dishwasher for a number of years, she washed them all by hand to save water.

Yesterday morning, on the 22nd of November around 6:30 a.m., my grandma passed away. Even if all of my grandparents have passed away now, I can say that I knew each of them pretty well save one, who passed away when I was about 4 or 5. In this short blog post I just wanted to thank my grandma for the life that she lived and all the lives that she blessed while here on this Earth. Including mine. I know that I will see her again someday. I love you grandma!!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comments:

I am so sorry Adam. Thinking of you and your family. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

About Me

My photo
Farmington, Utah, United States
I'm an energetic, outgoing, friendly, genuine guy. I love to make friends and I enjoy life. I'm goal driven and optimistic. I love to smile and have fun. I grew up in Sandy, Utah till I was about 10. Since then, I've been in Farmington, Utah. I grew up in a very family oriented home. Because of that, family is very important to me. We loved to go on family vacations and to play games. I love to play all types of card and board games. Nertz is one of my favorites. I also grew up playing all different types of sports: football, baseball, wrestling, soccer and basketball. I am a HUGE sports fan!!! I love the Angels, the 49ers, and the Jazz. I served an LDS mission in Milan, Italy. From my mission I learned to get to know people for who they truly are. I learned to care for people, despite our similarities and/or differences. Life is full of so many opportunities. Sometimes you just need to take a chance and see what will happen.

Followers