Yesterday I went to my brother's graduation. He went to Weber State and was graduating in integrated studies, if I remember right. It's a major where you can combine 3 topics together, while doing a capstone project, that will better suit your desired career path. His ultimate desire is to go to medical school and end up in the medical field somewhere.

I only was able to make it to part of it as I had several other things to do. As I watched him walk I reflected upon last summer when I went to my commencement am walked. John M. Huntsman Jr. spoke at my commencement. He gave 4 points that I recall and would like to share:


5 F's You'll Need In Life:
1. Find Yourself
2. Find A Cause
3. Face Failure
4. Find Someone To Love
5. Find Meaning

Love can transend race, religion, geography and class. ~ Incubus (Dig)

Have goals - Create an intellectual framework. Experience is the most valuable training ground.

The most valuable of all talents is if you can use one word instead of two. ~ Thomas Jefferson


All of these points, I thought, were very important to me as I went forward and pursued my career. In particular was the one about having goals. I have always been a goal oriented person. There is a quote that I found a while back which talks about goals:

"The most important thing about having goals is having one." ~ Geoffrey F. Abert


Goals help drive people to accomplish so much, but if you can't have one, it won't get you anywhere. Goals can be big and small. One of my big goals that I made years ago was to run a marathon one day. I took my 1st step towards that goal a few weeks ago by running my 1st race ever, the Canyonlands 1/2 marathon down in Moab. I ran it in just over 2 hours. I was extremely proud that I was able to do this.

Pre-race



Post-race





This was one of the sub-goals that I needed to accomplish to get to my goal. By having goals in my life, I've been able to achieve what I am today. Several people have been influences and I thank them for being an example to me every step of the way.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comments:

*****************************

An inspirational story of vulnerability and overcoming adversity
thanks for having the courage to share

Qualified Life Coach
Best Sober Recovery Blog
How do I stop drinking
Reading List Sobriety Books

All the best
for the future
Bren

*****************************

About Me

My photo
Farmington, Utah, United States
I'm an energetic, outgoing, friendly, genuine guy. I love to make friends and I enjoy life. I'm goal driven and optimistic. I love to smile and have fun. I grew up in Sandy, Utah till I was about 10. Since then, I've been in Farmington, Utah. I grew up in a very family oriented home. Because of that, family is very important to me. We loved to go on family vacations and to play games. I love to play all types of card and board games. Nertz is one of my favorites. I also grew up playing all different types of sports: football, baseball, wrestling, soccer and basketball. I am a HUGE sports fan!!! I love the Angels, the 49ers, and the Jazz. I served an LDS mission in Milan, Italy. From my mission I learned to get to know people for who they truly are. I learned to care for people, despite our similarities and/or differences. Life is full of so many opportunities. Sometimes you just need to take a chance and see what will happen.

Followers